Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The New Adventures of the Old Nolan Reimold

I know, another long writing hiatus, but what can I say? Sometimes you just get busy. That however, is neither here nor there. I won't give you a recap of the Orioles' 2-1 win over Seattle, because I would simply be re-stating what Jeff Zreibic will say tomorrow, only in a more amateur manner.

What I want to do today is take a look at a player who was poised for a breakout last season, but faced some setbacks, Nolan Reimold. Let me start off by saying I'm a big Reimold fan, but I'll try not to let that eminate into the piece.



In 2009, Reimold made a good run at the American League Rookie of the Year, posting some impressive stats. In 104 games Reimold hit 15 homeruns, drove in 45, stole 8 bases, and had a batting average of .279. Fairly impressive for a rookie outfielder, unfortunately his season ended early with him going on the DL to repair his achille's tendon. Reimold was back in 2010, however, his game was not. In 39 games he hit only 3 homeruns and barely batted over the Mendoza Line (.200) at .207.

I attribute Reimold's struggles to a number of different detractors. Primarily I think he was rushed back from the injury that took him out in 2009, and he really just didn't have enough time to get his form back. Also, he dealt with some personal issues off the field, out of respect for Nolan I won't speculate on that matter, but it definitely hurt his game. As a result of his abysmal play he was sent to Norfolk to try and find his swing, where he stayed for the remainder of the seaon.

Fast forward to Spring Training 2011 and Nolan Reimold was locked in a struggle with Felix Pie for a roster spot as a fourth outfielder. While his play was impressive and he seemed to have rebounded from 2010, he was still sent back to Norfolk to start the season.

Earlier this month when Derek Lee went on the Disabled List Reimold was called up from Norfolk. I had always liked Nolan and I was hoping he would re-establish himself as the left fielder of the future hitting for power and average. Well, he did. While the current sample size is limited to 9 games it is still impressive nonetheless. In 9 games he's hit as many homeruns as he did all of last season, has driven in seven runs, and is batting an impressive .360. Moving away from statistics, I believe that Reimold has a great deal of potential, he has a nice mix of power, speed, and a good approach at the plate.


My hope is that he can finish the season something like 18 homeruns, 72 RBI, and a .282 batting average, which all seem like realistic numbers at this point. One thing is a little unclear though, when Derek Lee comes off the DL what does that mean for Nolan Reimold? Right now Luke Scott is playing first base and Reimold is in left field, the position formerly occupied by Scott. Personally I feel like Scott will be dealt at the trading deadline to a contending team that could use some left handed power, maybe someone like Tampa Bay. I don't know how much The Orioles could get for Scott, but at least it would give Reimold everyday play.

This raises some questions for 2012, as trading Scott would mean in 2012 the Orioles are missing Scott, Lee, and Guerrero, as I doubt either of the latter two will be re-signed, but that's another post for another day. In closing, let's hope this year's Nolan Reimold is Nolan Reimod circa 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment